The Kalamazoo People’s Food Co-op published the following amazing recipe for tempeh bacon in its latest newsletter. Kudos to deli manager Chris Orsolini for coming up with it!
Not only is it delicious, but you’ll save money by buying plain tempeh as opposed to prepackaged tempeh bacon.
• Thinly slice an 8 oz package of tempeh
• Marinate in a mixture of:
– 1⁄4 C extra virgin olive oil
– 1⁄4 C tamari sauce
– 2 T rice vinegar
– 1 t garlic powder
– (dash of smoked paprika, optional)
• Bake at 375 degrees for 15 – 20 minutes or until dark and crispy, and slightly caramelized.
That’s it! We eat it mostly in TLT (tempeh-lettuce-tomato) sandwiches, prepared with vegan Nayonaise of course!